Once a year, I travel to Honolulu to visit family & friends. Each trip, I try to stuff myself silly with A) foods I can’t find in New York and B) dishes that simply taste better when eaten in Hawaii. Portuguese sausage is a Hawaii favorite that tops my ‘must eat’ food list. On my flight back to NYC from my last trip, I stuffed 5 packages of frozen Portuguese sausage in my carry-on (yes, it’s THAT delicious)! Hence, how I was able to incorporate it in this recipe. This is a rice dish, based off the flavors of Spanish paella. In this version, I use brown rice rather than white and I swap chorizo for Portuguese sausage.
The how to…
1 10 oz package Rego’s Purity portuguese sausage, sliced in rounds
1 small onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, seeded & diced
1 tsp salt
5 garlic cloves, minced
zest from 1 lemon
1 tsp smoked paprika
pinch chili flake
2 cups uncooked brown basmati rice
4 cups chicken stock
juice from 1/2 lemon
1/4 tsp saffron threads
20 medium size shrimp, peeled & deveined
3/4 cup frozen peas
lemon wedges, for serving
- Brown sausage. Set a pot over medium-high heat. Saute sausage slices until browned and fat is rendered. Remove and set aside.
- Add other ingredients. In the same pot (There should be a thin layer of rendered fat from the sausage. If pot is dry, add oil), add onion, bell pepper, and salt. Saute until onions are soft and translucent, 8-10 minutes. Add garlic, lemon zest, smoked paprika, and chili flake and cook for 1 minute, stir frequently.
- Toast rice. Add rice and cook for 3 minutes, stir frequently.
- Bring to boil. Add stock, lemon juice, saffron, and browned sausage. Scrape up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Stir to combine and bring to a boil.
- Simmer. Cover and reduce heat to simmer. Cook until rice is tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed, about 35-40 minutes.
- Finish. Add shrimp and frozen peas. Stir to combine, cover, and cook for an additional 5 minutes, until shrimp are cooked through. Take pot off heat. Serve with lemon wedges.
*If using white rice, reduce stock to 3 cups. Cooking time in step 5 will be around 20-25 minutes.