Happy Easter! We didn’t dye eggs today. Instead, we made funfetti baked donuts and dipped them in delectable toppings. To give these baked donuts an ‘Easter’ feel, I added pastel colored sprinkles to the batter. To finish, we rolled half the batch in powdered sugar and dipped the rest in glaze & sprinkles. New easter tradition?! I think so!
The how to…
Donut recipe slightly adapted from Joy the Baker
Makes 6 donuts
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup plus 1 Tbsp pastel sprinkles
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted & slightly cooled
1 large egg
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
sprinkles, for topping
powdered sugar, for topping
For the glaze
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 Tbsp milk
- Prepare. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Lightly spray a 6 cavity donut pan with cooking spray, set aside.
- Combine dry ingredients. In a large bowl, stir together flour, sprinkles, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, & sugar. Set aside.
- Whisk wet ingredients. In another bowl, whisk melted butter, egg, buttermilk, & vanilla extract, until well combined. Then, pour wet mixture into the dry mixture. Gently fold the batter until combined. Do not over mix.
- Bake. Spoon the batter into the donut pan until each well is a little more than 3/4 full. Using a butter knife, smooth out the tops. Bake for 10 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool for 5 minutes, then remove donuts from pan and cool completely.
- While donuts cool, make the glaze. Add milk to powdered sugar and whisk until glaze is smooth.
- Glaze + sprinkle version. Dip donuts, top side down into the glaze, then top with sprinkles. Allow to set for 20 minutes before serving.
- Powdered sugar version. Roll donuts in powdered sugar until fully coated, serve immediately.
Some extras… *No donut pan? Use a regular muffin pan!