Get creative with focaccia. For this recipe, focaccia dough is sprinkled with a savory blend of everything bagel seasoning and topped with thick slices of ripe tomato. This easy bread is a delicious accompaniment to salads, pasta, and soup. Use it to make sandwiches or pair warm slices with fresh fruit, hunks of cheese, and a glass of chilled rose.
1 envelope (2 1/4 tsp) active dry yeast
1 cup warm water
1 Tbsp granulated sugar
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup olive oil + extra for drizzling
1 large ripe tomato, sliced, for topping
For the everything bagel seasoning
2 Tbsp roasted sesame seeds
2 Tbsp poppy seeds
1 Tbsp dried mined onion
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
- Everything bagel seasoning. Add listed ingredients in a small jar, seal and shake to combine. Store at room temperature for up to 3 months.
- Proof the yeast. In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a dough hook, combine yeast, warm water, and sugar. Stir gently to dissolve. Let stand a few minutes until the mixture foams up.
- Make the dough. Turn mixer on low and slowly add the flour and salt to the bowl. Pour in 1/4 cup olive oil. When the dough starts to come together, increase the speed to medium. Stop the machine periodically to scrape the dough off the hook and sides of the bowl. Continue mixing until the dough is smooth and elastic, about 5-8 minutes.
- Let dough rise. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead a few times. Form the dough into a ball and place in an oiled bowl, turn to coat with oil. Cover with plastic wrap or kitchen towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 2 hours.
- Shape dough and let rise again. Turn dough out onto oiled sheet pan. Using your palm and fingertips, flatten and stretch the dough to cover the pan. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and leave in a warm place to rest, about 30 minutes.
- Prep for baking. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Uncover the dough (should be a little puffed up) and dimple (make shallow indentations) the surface of the focaccia with your fingertips. Drizzle the surface with olive oil and sprinkle with desired amount of everything bagel seasoning. Top with slices of tomato. Bake until focaccia is golden brown, about 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool. Slice into squares and serve warm.