Chicken pot pie is simple to make and great for using up leftovers. This weekend, I made a delicious curry version using leftover poached chicken and fresh broccoli combined with freezer staples like frozen corn, peas, & edamame. Too lazy to make pie crust, I opted to top the pot pie filling with mini whole wheat biscuits. Perfect for cold winter days, this recipe makes for a comforting and filling dish.
The how to…
Recipe slightly adapted from Alton Brown
1/2 cup whole milk
1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 Tbsp organic virgin coconut oil
1/2 onion, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 heaping tsp curry powder
2 cups cubed cooked chicken
1 cup fresh broccoli florets
1 cup frozen sweet corn
1 cup frozen petite peas
1 cup frozen shelled edamame
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
For whole wheat biscuits (makes 24 2-inch biscuits)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
4 tsp baking powder
1 Tbsp granulated sugar
3/4 tsp salt
4 Tbsp cold unsalted butter, cubed
1 cup whole milk
- Make biscuits. In a medium bowl mix flours, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Add cubed butter and cut into flour with a pastry blender until mixture is crumbly. Stir in milk until just combined. Turn dough out onto a floured counter and knead gently 8-10 times (dust w/flour as necessary to prevent sticking). Roll out dough w/a floured rolling pin. Stamp out rounds using a 2-inch biscuit cutter and place on a baking sheet. Chill in fridge.
- Heat liquids. In a saucepan, heat milk and broth over low heat.
- While broth is heating, cook aromatics. Heat coconut oil over medium high heat in a large dutch oven. When hot, add onions and carrots and sauté until soft, about 7 minutes. Add garlic and butter and cook for 30 seconds, stirring frequently. Then, add flour and curry powder and cook for 1 minute more, stirring frequently to toast spices.
- Add heated liquids. Whisk in the warm milk, broth, salt & pepper and cook until thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove pot from heat and stir in chicken, broccoli, corn, peas, and edamame.
- Bake. Pour pot pie filling into a 9×12-inch baking dish. Top w/mini biscuits and bake in a preheated 400 degree oven until mixture is hot and bubbly & biscuits are golden brown, about 35-40 minutes. Serve warm.
*Make pot pie filling & biscuits ahead of time. Store separately in fridge and assemble when ready to bake.